Full-Time, Exempt Position
The Center for Environmental Health (“CEH”) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that protects people from toxic chemicals and promotes business practices that are safe for public health and the environment. We stop corporations from exposing people to toxic chemicals, collaborate with responsible businesses and industry leaders, and are committed to inclusive, community-led solutions that address environmental injustices in low-income communities of color.
CEH is an organization of committed science-driven advocates who work together to keep short-sighted business interests from harming people in the name of profit. We are proud of our work and achieve big wins for people’s health. The organizational culture is one of entrepreneurism and thoughtfully assessed risk taking. CEH believes that to protect the health of all people, we must address the disproportionate health effects of toxic chemicals caused by systemic racism and other social injustices. The movement to eliminate dangerous chemicals must move forward in partnership with environmental, racial, reproductive and other related justice movements working to address the pressing social justice issues of our day. CEH’s headquarters are in Oakland, California. Candidates can be based anywhere in the U.S. with Oakland preferred.
CEH, striving for justice, diversity, equity and inclusion (“JEDI”) for all is critical to our mission and values. We know that having a team that is diverse in race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, ability, sexual orientation, age, background, and opinions — and fostering inclusion among that team — is core to achieving our organizational goals. CEH strives to recruit talent from a diverse pool of candidates and ensure that those professionals it hires are sufficiently supported so that they flourish. The organization wants everyone to not only have a seat at the table, but to know that their presence and input makes the organization stronger.
Learn more about the Center for Environmental Health at www.ceh.org.
Position Type: 1.0 FTE. Exempt.
Start date: Position will be open until filled.
Reports to: Director of Communications
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Managing our website, CEH.org, and keeping the information on the site current.
- Strategize on creation and dissemination of communications collateral
- Manage, produce, and track online communications, including email blasts and advocacy communications issued to the organization’s email supporters.
- Assist in managing the organization’s social media by creating graphics and short videos
- Implement marketing and branding strategies.
- Conceptualize, create, and produce graphics and visual content for social media, website, email blasts/action alerts, webinars, invitations, promotional and event materials, some print and digital collateral, social media, blog posts, etc.
- Prepare data that clarify the effectiveness of online campaigns/actions and social media. Track and report on these data points.
- Troubleshoot basic HTML/CSS issues in website and email templates.
- Manage, maintain, segment, and track email supporter database.
- Assist in writing drafts of email communications to members, webpages, blog articles, and social media, and work with staff and allies to select topics, targets, actions, and all essential details as necessary.
- Collaborate with the Director of Communications on Editorial Calendar, including schedule of email alerts, blog posts, online collateral such as fact sheets and reports, etc.
- Collaborate with the Development team on online CEH publications and print collateral.
Other duties as assigned.
Candidate Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Two years communications and online media management experience
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Time-management skills
- Ability to communicate productively and effectively
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and as part of a successful team
- Proficiency with Microsoft suite of products, Adobe Creative Suite
- Basic knowledge of HTML/CSS.
- Ability to excel in and contribute to a collegial and friendly working environment.
- Strong commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) values.
What to expect from us
- Salary range: $54-58,000, commensurate with experience.
- Full benefits, including 401k match (up to 5% of salary), health insurance, vacation, sick time, and paid holidays
- A team with a sense of justice and a sense of humor
- A low-ego, high-performance culture and flexible work environment
Working Conditions and Job Setting
- Physical ability to type and use computer is essential
- Infrequent periodic lifting of up to 20 pounds is required
- Candidates can be located anywhere in the U.S. (Oakland, CA preferred)
Getting this Job
Write/gather the following materials and send in a single PDF:
- Cover letter
- Short writing sample (two pages maximum)
- Name, affiliation, and contact information for three references
Please merge these materials into a single PDF whose file name includes “Digital Coordinator” and your surname.
Then email that PDF to: firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: Digital Coordinator Application).
We acknowledge receipt of all employment applications, and when we decide a candidate is no longer in the running, we notify them. (Note: this sometimes can take a while.)
This position will remain open until we find the right person to fill it.
EOE Statement: CEH is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, it considers applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, age, ability, personal appearance, family responsibilities or national origin.