Full-Time, Non-exempt Position in Oakland, CA
CEH protects people from toxic chemicals by working with communities, consumers, workers, government, and the private sector to demand and support business practices that are safe for public health, and the environment.
All people live, work, learn, and play in healthy environments.
The Center for Environmental Health (“CEH”) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that protects people from toxic chemicals and promotes business practices that are safe for public health and the environment. They stop corporations from exposing people to toxic chemicals, they collaborate with leaders of responsible businesses and industry leaders, and they are committed to inclusive, community-led solutions that address environmental injustices in low-income communities of color.
CEH is an organization of committed, science-driven advocates who work together to keep short-sighted business interests from harming people in the name of profit. We are proud of our work and achieve big wins for people’s health. The organizational culture is one of entrepreneurism and thoughtfully assessed risk taking. CEH believes that to protect the health of all people, we must address the disproportionate health effects of toxic chemicals caused by systemic racism and other social injustices. The movement to eliminate dangerous chemicals must move forward in partnership with Environmental Justice, Reproductive Justice, and other related movements working to address the pressing social justice issues of our day. CEH’s headquarters are in Oakland, and we have a small office in North Carolina’s Triangle Area. This position is located in the Oakland office.
Commitment to JEDI
At CEH, striving for justice, diversity, equity and inclusion (“JEDI”) for all is critical to its mission and values. They know that having a team that is diverse in race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, ability, sexual orientation, age, and background and opinions — and fostering inclusion among that team — is core to achieving its organizational goals. CEH strives to recruit talent from a diverse pool of candidates and ensure that those professionals it hires are sufficiently supported so that they flourish. The organization wants everyone to not only have a seat at the table, but to know that their presence and input makes the organization stronger.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. The Executive Assistant to the CEO (EA) is primarily responsible for supporting the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to help him manage his various priorities and responsibilities. This dynamic position works with all facets of the organization and is integral in moving CEH’s mission forward and creating lasting change in the world. This role provides a great opportunity to gain a holistic view of a thriving, passionate, and dedicated non-profit environment. The EA presents a professional image of CEH in all internal and external contexts. The ideal candidate has the ability to be detail-oriented, anticipate needs, think critically, manage complicated calendaring, and offer solutions to problems with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
Position Type: 1.0 FTE. Non-exempt.
Start date: Position will be open until filled.
Reports to: Chief of Staff
- Partners with the Chief of Staff to help CEO prioritize workload.
- Tracks CEO’s commitments and priorities and helps him meet deadlines.
- Serves as point of access to CEO for staff and the public.
- Ensures clear and efficient logistical communication between the CEO and CEH’s staff including understanding staff’s needs of the CEO and providing status updates on their requests.
- Manages CEO’s complex calendar including scheduling internal and external meetings.
- Makes travel arrangements and provides logistical details for CEO’s out-of-office appointments.
- Tracks Leadership Team action items, meeting notes, and team files.
- Partners closely with the Development team to accomplish the CEO’s development-related priorities and commitments, especially tracking and prioritizing the CEO’s development tasks, contributing to fundraising strategy, and planning fundraising meetings and trips.
- Works directly with Development Director to track and prioritize development related correspondence.
- Coordinates and manages all logistics for board meetings including tracking and developing board materials, creating the board packet, and taking detailed minutes at the board meetings.
- Executes projects assigned by the CEO or Chief of Staff and partners with staff on these projects when necessary.
- Occasionally, participates in organizational capacity building projects in partnership with other staff.
- Receives and directs voice mails from CEH general account.
- When necessary, manages CEH’s “Jobs” inbox and tracks applications for various hiring teams. May also be asked to manage correspondence between hiring teams and applicants.
CEH is looking for an experienced executive assistant who sets high standards for him/herself and for those around him/her. The ideal candidate takes initiative, knows how to help a team succeed, communicates clearly and constructively, is able to multitask with ease and remain organized, and knows when, where, and how to manage up.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience directly supporting an executive.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent written, verbal, and oral communication skills, including a professional telephone manner and the ability to communicate productively and effectively in email and in person.
- Attention to detail is a must
- Proven experience with scheduling and managing complex calendaring
- Superb time-management skills and task management skills.
- Ability to take initiative, but also to accept direction and seek guidance appropriately.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, with demonstrated ability to make decisions quickly and independently.
- Ability to work independently and as part of successful teams.
- Experience with fundraising is a plus.
- Ability to promote and reinforce intersectional issues and equity as a core value of CEH.
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity, equity, inclusion and justice professionally. Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity, equity, inclusion and justice personally is highly desirable.
- Ability to excel in and contribute to a collegial and friendly working environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite including Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Proficiency with CRM databases, particularly Salesforce is a plus.
What to expect from us
- Salary range: $62,000 – $67,000, commensurate with experience.
- Full benefits, including 401k match (up to 5% of salary), health insurance, vacation, sick time, and paid holidays
- A team with a sense of justice and a sense of humor
- A low-ego, high-performance culture and flexible work environment
Working Conditions and Job Setting
- Physical ability to type and use computer is essential
- Infrequent periodic lifting of up to 20 pounds is required
Getting this Job:
Write/gather the following materials and send in a single PDF:
- Cover letter
- Short writing sample (two pages maximum)
- Name, affiliation, and contact information for three references
Please merge these materials into a single PDF whose file name includes “Executive Assistant to the CEO Position” and your surname.
Then email that PDF to: firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: Executive Assistant to the CEO Application).
We acknowledge receipt of all employment applications, and when we decide a candidate is no longer in the running, we notify them. (Note: this sometimes can take a while.)
This position will remain open until we find the right person to fill it. If this posting is still up, go ahead and apply.
Equal Opportunity: CEH is an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, age, ability, personal appearance, family responsibilities or national origin.