Administrative Coordinator (Half-Time)
Position Type: .5 FTE. Non-Exempt.
Reports to: Senior Director of Programs
The Center for Environmental Health (“CEH”) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that protects people from toxic chemicals and promotes business practices that are safe for public health and the environment. We stop corporations from exposing people to toxic chemicals, collaborate with responsible businesses and industry leaders, and are committed to inclusive, community-led solutions that address environmental injustices in low-income communities of color.
CEH is an organization of committed science-driven advocates who work together to keep short-sighted business interests from harming people in the name of profit. We are proud of our work and achieve big wins for people’s health. CEH believes that to protect the health of all people, we must address the disproportionate health effects of toxic chemicals caused by systemic racism and other social injustices. The movement to eliminate dangerous chemicals must move forward in partnership with Environmental Justice, Reproductive Justice, and other related movements working to address the pressing social justice issues of our day.
At CEH, striving for justice, diversity, equity and inclusion (“JEDI”) for all is critical to our mission and values. We know that having a team that is diverse in race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, ability, sexual orientation, age, background, and opinions — and fostering inclusion among that team — is core to achieving our organizational goals. CEH strives to recruit talent from a diverse pool of candidates and ensure that those professionals it hires are sufficiently supported so that they flourish. The organization wants everyone to not only have a seat at the table, but to know that their presence and input makes the organization stronger.
CEH is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the priority we give to the values of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI), we are committed to gender and racial equity and actively seek to hire those from historically marginalized communities. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
Learn more about the Center for Environmental Health at www.ceh.org.
The Administrative Coordinator will work in the dynamic and sometimes fast-faced environment of CEH’s Program Department. This role is crucial to ensuring the smooth functioning and coordination of the responsibilities of the Senior Director and the various program teams.
About the Role
This is a half-time, non-exempt position. The Administrative Coordinator is supervised by the Senior Director of Programs (SDP) and is responsible for helping him carry out his essential duties and responsibilities. The ideal candidate is a detailed- and task-oriented individual with a friendly and positive demeanor, who can anticipate needs, think critically, track and manage multiple tasks at once, and interact positively with other CEH staff as well as other external stakeholders, e.g., board members, donors, consultants, and staff from allied organizations.
- Maintain SDP’s calendar and daily schedule, scheduling individual and group meetings, and ensuring ample time is reserved for the SDP to complete other essential tasks and duties.
- Assists in Managing SDP’s correspondence, ensuring that more urgent phone calls, emails, and other important matters are given top priority and that all requests are answered in a timely manner.
- Inputs information and monitors SDP’s task tracker to ensure that all tasks are tracked and completed by established deadlines.
- Manages the bi-monthly timesheet approval process and tracks PTO requests submitted by SDP’s supervisees.
- Provides administrative support upon request for job searches taking place within the program department.
- Schedules meetings, prepares agenda, and takes notes for Directors-Only and Cross Program Strategy meetings as well as program retreats.
- Participates in regularly scheduled CEH staff meetings, training sessions, and other mandatory events, unless excused in advance by the SDP.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned.
CEH is looking for an experienced Administrative Coordinator who sets high standards for themselves and for those around them. The ideal candidate takes initiative, knows how to help a team succeed, communicates clearly and constructively, can multitask with ease and remain focused, and knows when, where, and how to manage up.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or a minimum of 3 years’ administrative work experience.
- Strong alignment with CEH’s values and passionate commitment to the principles of environmental health and justice.
- Demonstrated ability to follow complex instructions and successfully manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent written, verbal, and oral communication skills, including a professional telephone manner and the ability to communicate effectively via email, Zoom, or in person.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, with demonstrated ability to make decisions quickly and independently.
- Demonstrated commitment to the values justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) and to working in a diverse, friendly, and collegial workplace.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite including Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Proficiency with project management software, e.g., Asana, Monday, etc., and/or CRM databases, particularly Salesforce is a plus.
This position is based out of CEH’s main office in Oakland, CA.
All CEH staff are currently working remotely, but this is expected to change as conditions improve. We anticipate that the Oakland Office will reopen using a hybrid structure that will require some part-time, in-person work in the office and some part-time remote work at home.
The pro-rated base salary for this position is $30,000. This salary is negotiable, commensurate with experience. Base salaries are set based on living expenses in the San Francisco/Bay Area; CEH uses an adjusted pay scale to determine the base salaries for permanent remote positions stationed in other parts of the country. The job comes with part-time benefits and generous paid time off.
Working Conditions and Job Setting
- Physical ability to type (or use voice keyboarding software) and use a computer is essential.
Applying for this job
Please submit the following materials as a single PDF:
- Cover letter, highlighting your qualifications
Please merge these documents into a single PDF whose filename includes your surname and “AdminCoord-SDP” Then email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Administrative Coordinator.
We acknowledge receipt of all employment applications, and when we decide a candidate is no longer in the running, we inform her/him/them promptly. (Note: this sometimes can take a while.)
Position open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Those submitted before March 31, 2022, will be given priority.