Full-Time, Non-Exempt Position
The Center for Environmental Health (“CEH”) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that protects people from toxic chemicals and promotes business practices that are safe for public health and the environment. We stop corporations from exposing people to toxic chemicals, collaborate with responsible businesses and industry leaders, and are committed to inclusive, community-led solutions that address environmental injustices in low-income communities of color.
CEH is an organization of committed science-driven advocates who work together to keep short-sighted business interests from harming people in the name of profit. We are proud of our work and achieve big wins for people’s health. The organizational culture is one of entrepreneurism and thoughtfully assessed risk taking. CEH believes that to protect the health of all people, we must address the disproportionate health effects of toxic chemicals caused by systemic racism and other social injustices. The movement to eliminate dangerous chemicals must move forward in partnership with environmental, racial, reproductive and other related justice movements working to address the pressing social justice issues of our day. CEH’s headquarters are in Oakland, California. Candidates can be based anywhere in the U.S. with Oakland preferred.
CEH, striving for justice, diversity, equity and inclusion (“JEDI”) for all is critical to our mission and values. We know that having a team that is diverse in race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, ability, sexual orientation, age, background, and opinions — and fostering inclusion among that team — is core to achieving our organizational goals. CEH strives to recruit talent from a diverse pool of candidates and ensure that those professionals it hires are sufficiently supported so that they flourish. The organization wants everyone to not only have a seat at the table, but to know that their presence and input makes the organization stronger.
Learn more about the Center for Environmental Health at www.ceh.org.
Position Type: 1.0 FTE. Exempt.
Start date: Position will be open until filled.
Reports to: Director of Operations & Finance
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Process accounts payable, including selecting and implementing on-line bill payment system
- Prepare journal entries and reconcile ledger accounts
- Maintain financial files
- Reconcile and handle matters related to business credit cards (Nexonia)
- Handle matters related to staff members’ timesheets (ClickTime)
- Serve as backup and double check on processing semi-monthly payroll
- Process all deposits into the bank
- Work with Director to produce year-round sound accounting and bookkeeping records
- Support monthly and quarterly close process, and prepare budget vs. actual reports
- Assist with annual audit
- Maintain internal controls and ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and organization policies
- Other duties as assigned
Candidate Qualifications and Experience
- 5+ years of experience in a non-profit admin/bookkeeping role, required
- Highly organized and responsible with strong attention to detail
- Proficiency with QuickBooks, Excel, Word, Outlook, and information technology
- Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- High standards of accountability and sensitivity with confidential information
- Ability to excel in and contribute to a collegial and friendly working environment
- Ability to collaborate effectively with various teams, providing the most useful guidance in an enthusiastic and inspiring manner
- Alignment with CEH’s social justice mission to protect people from toxic chemicals
What to expect from us
- Salary range: $55,000-$60,000 commensurate with experience. Base salaries are set based on living expenses in the San Francisco/Bay Area; CEH uses an adjusted pay scale to determine the base salaries for permanent remote positions stationed in other parts of the country.
- Full benefits, including 401k match (up to 5% of salary), health insurance, vacation, sick time, and paid holidays
- A team with a sense of justice and a sense of humor
- A low-ego, high-performance culture and flexible work environment
Working Conditions and Job Setting
- Physical ability to type and use computer is essential
- Infrequent periodic lifting of up to 20 pounds is required
- Must be able to work in-person in our Oakland, CA office
Getting this Job
Write/gather the following materials and send in a single PDF:
- Cover letter
- Name, affiliation, and contact information for three references
Please merge these materials into a single PDF whose file name includes “Staff Accountant” and your surname.
Then email that PDF to: email@example.com (subject line: Staff Accountant Application).
We acknowledge receipt of all employment applications, and when we decide a candidate is no longer in the running, we notify them. (Note: this sometimes can take a while.)
This position will remain open until we find the right person to fill it. We will give priority to candidates who apply before January 3, 2022.
EOE Statement: CEH is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, it considers applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity or expression, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, age, ability, personal appearance, family responsibilities or national origin.