Our Checklist for Cleaning Everything in Your Home
Want to clean your home in a "green" and non-toxic way, but don't know where to start?
Sometimes when you look around your dirty messy house, it can be so hard to know where to start. Well, we’ve thought of everything, so you don’t have to! And even if you’ve got a cleaning routine down, sometimes you just need a checklist so that you can feel good about checking off some boxes! So, throw on your favorite playlist and use this list for a safe, healthy, and clean home.
Don’t forget to pick up our recommended all purpose cleaners, kitchen, bathroom, and floor cleaners, or use our favorite DIY recipes. We also have an in-depth kitchen cleaning guide and an in-depth bathroom cleaning guide if you want to dig deeper. Also, if you are lucky enough to have someone who cleans your home for you- be that your roommate, your SO, or a professional- pass along this checklist to make sure all your bases are covered. We even have a version in Spanish if it’s helpful for you.
- Dust with a wet cloth, this lowers allergens and removes toxic dust. Wipe window sills and blinds with a wet cloth. We love microfiber cloths for dusting!
- Vacuum floors and couch cushions with a HEPA filter if possible, make sure the bag or container isn’t completely full in order to not lose suction.
- Mop floors
- Wipe down countertops, cabinets, and face of appliances (refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher) with an all-purpose cleaner
- Scrub and wipe down stove top. Soak and wash stove top grills and drip pans in sink with dishwashing liquid and hot water
- Clean inside of microwave. Microwave a bowl of half water and half vinegar on high for three minutes. Easily wipe clean. You can also do this with a lemon instead of vinegar. Just cut a lemon in half, squeeze it into the water, drop in the lemon half, and microwave for 3 minutes and wipe clean.
- Scrub and clean inside and around sink. If sink drain is clogged or smells bad, use a safe cleaner to clean the drain. Check our in-depth kitchen cleaning guide for more details.
- Sweep and mop floor
- Remove rugs, trash cans, and objects from the tub/shower
- Wet tub/shower walls with warm water and scrub with tile and grout cleaner, allow to sit for 5-10 minutes. Make sure to stand on a non-slip surface
- Pour toilet bowl cleaner in toilet and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Scrub with a brush and flush
- Spray/clean shelves and other furniture with an all-purpose cleaner
- Wash and rinse tub/shower walls and then apply tile and grout cleaner to tub/shower floor and scrub
- Use a brush and bathroom cleaner to scrub around the faucet and drain in sink. Use a safe cleaner to get rid of mold, if necessary. Check our in-depth bathroom cleaning guide for more details.
- Wipe the vanity countertop and cabinet fronts with an all purpose cleaner
- Clean mirror: use a damp microfiber cloth and a safe glass cleaner
- Shine the faucets. For stubborn water spots, use vinegar and water
- Wash the floor with a safe floor cleaner
Deep Cleaning Extras
- Clean inside of oven with a DIY cleaner. Mix ¼ cup baking soda, 2 tbsp salt, and just enough hot water to make a paste to spread around the oven walls. Scrub with a rough sponge and then wipe clean. You can leave the paste sitting for 20 mins for extra dirty ovens.
- Clean inside of refrigerator with an all purpose cleaner and replace all items
- Use a safe window and glass cleaner and wipe with a microfiber cloth
- Clean large and hard-to-reach windows with a professional-quality squeegee