May the 4th Be With You: Yoda Introduces CEH’s JEDI Committee
Special Guest Blogger: Yoda
Since its founding in 1996, CEH has always prioritized diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) as part of its core values. From our hiring processes to our programmatic work, we have put DEI at the forefront of our thoughts, and asked ourselves regularly if we’re doing all we can to ensure that CEH is the inclusive organization we envision it to be. Last year, we re-committed to walking the talk by starting a committee to formally institutionalize DEI within the organization. We just took it a step further by adding “justice,” and now officially call ourselves the “JEDI” Committee. But much training, we still have. In our work to hone our JEDI skills, we are engaging with a range of JEDI masters, justice and equity-focused organizations, and other environmental health organizations, and are in the process of hiring a consultant to further institutionalize this work.
This #StarWarsDay, the JEDI Knights of CEH had the opportunity to sit down with Master Yoda himself, and asked him to explain the official statement of our JEDI committee:
- Strive for justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion for all, we do.
- Critical to our mission and values, it is.
- Core to achieving our goals, having a diverse team (in race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, ability, sexual orientation, age, background, and opinions) is.
- Inclusion among that team, we foster.
- Talent from a diverse pool of candidates, we recruit.
- Support employees so they flourish, we ensure.
- A seat at the table, everyone must have.
- Stronger the organization is, with everyone’s presence and input.
- The way of the JEDI Committee, this is.
May the 4th be with you!