Position Type: 1.0 FTE. Exempt.
Reports to: Director of Operations & Finance
The Center for Environmental Health (“CEH”) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that protects people from toxic chemicals and promotes business practices that are safe for public health and the environment. We stop corporations from exposing people to toxic chemicals, collaborate with responsible businesses and industry leaders, and commit to inclusive, community-led solutions that address environmental injustices facing the general public as well as low-income communities of color.
CEH is an organization of committed science-driven advocates who work together to keep short-sighted business interests from harming people in the name of profit. We are proud of our work and achieve big wins for people’s health. The organizational culture is one of entrepreneurism and thoughtfully assessed risk taking. CEH believes that to protect the health of all people, we must address the disproportionate health effects of toxic chemicals caused by systemic racism and other social injustices. The movement to eliminate dangerous chemicals must move forward in partnership with environmental justice, reproductive Justice, and other related movements working to address the pressing social justice issues of our day. CEH’s headquarters are in Oakland.
Commitment to JEDI
At CEH, striving for justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion (“JEDI”) for all is critical to its mission and values. We know that having a team that is diverse in race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, ability, sexual orientation, age, and background, and opinions — and fostering inclusion among that team — is core to achieving our organizational goals. CEH strives to recruit talent from a diverse pool of candidates and ensure that those professionals we hire are sufficiently supported so that they flourish. CEH wants everyone to not only have a seat at the table but to know that their presence and input make the organization stronger.
CEH is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the priority we give to the values of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI), we are committed to gender and racial equity and actively seek to hire those from historically marginalized communities. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status. Learn more about the Center for Environmental Health at ceh.org.
The HR & Operations Manager partners with the Director of Operations & Finance, helping to ensure that operations (including, HR, IT, and office management) run smoothly both in CEH’s Oakland office and remote employee locations.
Qualities of a Successful Candidate
- Deeply committed to environmental health and justice
- Detail-oriented and able to manage multiple projects
- Highly motivated with a high emotional intelligence
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Those with an asterisk are essential duties.)
- Checks Mail and Logs checks *
- Non-CA state payroll registrations and employer responsibilities including payroll quarterly reports
- Posts job announcements*
- Collects and maintains paperwork (applications, interview notes, notes from conversations with references, etc.) for all hires*
- New staff on-boarding
- Mandated and suggested trainings & staff-wide development including sexual harassment, supervision etc
- Helps maintain personnel files*
- Oversees the implementation of various policies including Personnel Handbook and Illness and Injury Prevention Policy
- Administers employee benefits programs including renewals (ie FSA, 401k, medical/dental)
- Manage timesheet software (ClickTime) and staff PTO balances
- Works with Finance to manage organizational insurances
- Communicates with staff regarding HR deadlines, instructions and updates
- Assists staff with emergency IT needs*
- Monitors the health of IT infrastructure*
- Supports the creation and implementation of the organization’s IT plan*
- Is CEH’s primary contact with IT support firm*
- Oversees growth and maintenance of phone systems*
- Sets up new computers for new staff
- Orders office supplies*
- Manages relationships with office equipment vendors and workorders for building
- Prepares work space for new staff*
- Orients new staff, work study, interns on IT and Admin*
- Creates, updates, and implements workspace plan*
- Maintains and updates keys, keycards and CEH work-from-home equipment list
- Modifications & protocols for Covid-19 pandemic and work-from-home norms and in-office norms.
- Maintains various certifications including Alameda Co Green Biz certification
Other duties as assigned
- Proficiency with Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Commitment to protecting people from toxic chemicals
- Ability to excel in and contribute to a collegial and friendly working environment
- Ability to collaborate effectively with various teams, providing the most useful guidance in an enthusiastic and inspiring manner
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to communicate productively and effectively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines concurrently
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks effectively
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Familiarity with platforms such as Asana (project management), ClickTime (timesheets)
- Conscientious with personal information to ensure accuracy, confidentiality, and respect for staff
- Experience with administration of benefits including managing brokers/vendors
- Experience managing FMLA, CFRA, COBRA, ERISA etc
- At least 3+ years experience in human resources, preferably in a nonprofit organization. HR certification or training a plus.
Working Conditions and Job Setting
- Physical ability to type (or use voice keyboarding software) and use a computer is essential.
The base salary for this position is $70,000.
Applying for this job
Please submit the following materials in a single PDF:
- Cover letter, highlighting your qualifications
Please merge these documents into a single PDF whose file name includes your surname and “HR & Operations Manager.” Then email it to: email@example.com with the subject line: HR & Operations Manager.
We acknowledge receipt of all employment applications, and when we decide a candidate is no longer in the running, we inform her/him/them promptly. (Note: this sometimes can take a while.)
Position open until filled.