Position Type: 1.0 FTE. Exempt.
Reports to: CEO
The Center for Environmental Health (CEH) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that protects people from toxic chemicals and promotes business practices that are safe for public health and the environment. We stop corporations from exposing people to toxic chemicals, collaborate with responsible businesses and industry leaders, and commit to inclusive, community-led solutions that address environmental injustices facing the general public as well as low-income communities of color.
CEH is an organization of committed science-driven advocates who work together to keep short-sighted business interests from harming people in the name of profit. We are proud of our work and achieve big wins for people’s health. The organizational culture is one of entrepreneurism and thoughtfully assessed risk taking. CEH believes that to protect the health of all people, we must address the disproportionate health effects of toxic chemicals caused by systemic racism and other social injustices. The movement to eliminate dangerous chemicals must move forward in partnership with environmental justice, reproductive justice, and other related movements working to address the pressing social justice issues of our day. CEH’s headquarters are in Oakland, California.
Commitment to JEDI
At CEH, striving for justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion (“JEDI”) for all is critical to its mission and values. We know that having a team that is diverse in race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, ability, sexual orientation, age, and background, and opinions — and fostering inclusion among that team — is core to achieving our organizational goals. CEH strives to recruit talent from a diverse pool of candidates and ensure that those professionals we hire are sufficiently supported so that they flourish. CEH wants everyone to not only have a seat at the table but to know that their presence and input make the organization stronger.
CEH is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the priority we give to the values of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI), we are committed to gender and racial equity and actively seek to hire those from historically marginalized communities. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status. Learn more at ceh.org.
The People and Culture Director role is crucial for the achievement of CEH’s strategic objectives. At the core of our strategy is recruiting and developing a highly performing and diverse team and offering every team member the opportunity to learn, lead and grow. People and Culture work is a vital and deep-seated part of each nonprofit’s DNA. No matter its mission or size, it’s important for every nonprofit to have a set of core values, beliefs, and perspectives. Building healthy organizational culture affirms everyone inside the organization.
The P&C Director will drive initiatives that promote a culture that reinforces unity and solidarity outside physical presence and across the region, a remote and agile working culture that is engaging and inclusive and that fosters respect, trust, creativity and collaboration. The P&C Director reports directly to the CEO and is a critical member of our Senior Management Team (SMT).
The P&C Director will lead and manage the P&C team into providing value adding HR services to management and staff. This includes the day-to-day running of operational HR functions, talent acquisition, performance management, learning & development, compensation and benefits, policy development, and support employees’ relations. The P&C Director is the ambassador of the organizational culture and values, ensuring they are visible, embedded and upheld.
This role will provide advice and guidance to SMT and all staff on human resources (HR) and organizational culture matters. This includes people development, legal compliance, best practice and HR strategy development.
STRATEGY & MANAGEMENT
- Develop and champion CEH People Strategy, and ensure its implementation.
- Direct CEH HR team to achieve optimal performance and development and ensure operational excellence and quality in all P&C functions
- Develop and maintain key people data and analytics as well as business intelligence to drive strategic priorities, advising appropriate course of action and decisions
- Develop, communicate and ensure the implementation of HR policies and procedures to ensure understanding and acceptance; ensuring compliance and managing inquiries and investigations as required.
TALENT ACQUISITION and ONBOARDING
- Design & oversee the talent acquisition process to ensure CEH attracts qualified diverse talents that reflect the diversity in our region and that are best fit for our culture and values
- Focus on improving the recruitment process by assessing and exploring recruitment channels to be able to achieve the recruitment objectives and keep updating KPI/metrics of recruitment by monthly basis.
- Monitor the recruitment process to ensure that this is delivered in a timely manner, and lead its evaluation with the aim of continuous improvement of the process.
- Develop and oversee an induction process for all new employees to help establish the center for environmental health culture and to help them settle in their role.
- Oversee employee benefits, including enrollments, deductions, changes, and terminations
- Build a culture of performance and accountability across the organization with oversight and continued development of the Performance Review & Development framework
- Design and supervise an effective performance management process and staff development
- Mentor staff and managers in setting objectives and monitoring performance
LEARNING AND DEVELOPMENT
- Develop annual training programs in consultation with managers inclusive of bespoke individual needs that promote organization culture and drive performance in accordance with strategic objectives
- Recommend and facilitate learning and development plan to improve performance and personal development of staff .
- Support and develop managers through peer-to-peer coaching and mentoring.
- Create a leadership development framework to maximize leadership capability and embed a coaching culture in support of delivering on strategy outcomes.
- Manage & recommend the succession planning program to ensure identification and recommendation of talents, their growth and development and internal employee readiness for promotion.
- Contribute to the development of a robust culture through role modeling values and the behaviors which drive this culture
- Design and lead initiatives including research and diagnostics (e.g. annual employee engagement survey and exit interviews), to maximize the engagement of all employees and build organizational commitment to the desired culture
- Work in partnership with CEH engagement team on effective internal and external communications in support of organizational development
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Develop job descriptions, job evaluation and grading system
- Ensure the integrity of CEH remuneration policy
- Ensure market driven benchmarking and transparent annual review processes
- Review and strengthen CEH financial and non-financial benefits in collaboration with our broker
- Develop and manage the expenditure of the shared budget, according to agreed objectives and the priorities of the unit, in order to ensure cost effective operation.
- Participate in related professional organizations within the country/region to enhance current HR practices and to promote our environmental campaigns.
- Establish professional relationships with relevant people in CEH.
- Establish connections with country government mandated entities for legal compliance.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor or Masters degree, preferably in the field of HR Management or Business Management.
Skills & Expertise
- Professionalism: Demonstrates accountability, responsibility and integrity even in difficult situations and delivers results effectively;
- Valuing People: Cares for and supports colleagues, contributes towards practices and behaviors that facilitate fairness and equity across the organization.
- Global Mindset: Proactively engages with people from different backgrounds, encourages equal opportunity for all and participation from everyone, and ensures that diverse thoughts are freely shared and integrated.
- Leadership and Management: Ability to plan and organize projects and departmental deliverables. Ability to empower and develop people within the organization.
- More than 10 years of experience in human resource A management, including recruitment and selection, performance management, information management, policy implementation, succession planning and talent review.
- Excellent Knowledge in labor and employment law..
- Trustworthy and treasures discretion Confidentiality.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Excellent people and team management skills .
- Experience in Employee relations and organizational policy development.
- Change Management expertise would be ideal
- HR Operational Knowledge a plus
Working Conditions and Job Setting
Physical ability to type (or use voice keyboarding software) and use a computer is essential.
Commensurate with experience.
Applying for this job
Please submit the following materials in a single PDF:
- Cover letter, highlighting your qualifications
Please merge these documents into a single PDF whose file name includes your surname and “People and Culture Director.” Then email it to: email@example.com with the subject line: People and Culture Director.
We acknowledge receipt of all employment applications, and when we decide a candidate is no longer in the running, we inform her/him/them promptly. (Note: this sometimes can take a while.)
Position open until filled.
Disclaimer: This description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performance by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Other additional duties may be assigned.