Because Health is Hiring Remote Freelance Writers
WHO WE ARE
Because Health is an online environmental health educational health campaign. Through our website and social media, we share actionable, positive, and science-based resources to a predominantly millennial audience. We highlight how environmental issues like pollution, toxic chemicals, and climate change can impact our health in the same way that working out and eating habits do. We’re a small team looking to create big change through simple, easy-to-implement tips!
Because Health is run by the nonprofit the Collaborative on Health and the Environment (CHE). CHE is committed to protecting the health of families, children and communities from pollution, climate change, toxic chemicals, and other environmental factors that contribute to disease and disability.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are actively searching for remote freelance writers who can write short (>1,000 words) research articles on environmental health topics in an informal voice. This position requires experience gathering and synthesizing research from scientific organizations. Although you don’t need to be an expert on environmental health, basic working knowledge of the subject is preferred so you can easily write about your own recommendations for alternative products/habits/etc.
You’ll be successful if you’re passionate about writing content and coming up with unique and original ideas. Preference will be given to writers who have a working knowledge of SEO and content marketing. We are looking for writers with a positive and upbeat style of writing. This is a great opportunity for current MPH students or someone looking to gain more experience in the environmental health field. Writers can pitch article topics or can select topics that Because Health stuff suggest.
Sample Articles (see more at Becausehealth.org)
- Why Mineral Sunscreen is Your Safest Option for Sun Protection
- Easy Ways to Keep Your Car Smelling Fresh Without the Synthetic Scents
- How to Get the Most Nutritious Bang for your Buck AND Fight Climate Change
- 5 Tips for Healthy Kid-Friendly Meals (cause the struggle is real)
- The 3 Easiest Things You can do for a Non-Toxic Pregnancy
- 5 Ways Zero Waste is Also Good for Your Health
- Is Your Tea Bag Made of Plastic?
- MPH preferred (or an MPH student)
- Knowledge of environmental health issues
- Experience with scientific research and writing
- Familiarity with a wide range of topics, including non-toxic lifestyles,
- environmental issues, parenting, and general wellness
- Strong writing skills, with an ability to adapt tone and style
- Ability to prioritize and manage time independently
- An interest in digital content
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Send link to portfolio or resume/CV to email@example.com
- Your rate for 1000 words
- A short paragraph about why this position is right for you (yes, we do read them)
- 2-3 writing samples that most closely represent the sample articles/topics and can give us a sense of your writing style and tone (can be personal work)